Atlanta - Labor Day Cookout ideas with Chef Drew Kirkland from 521 Kitchen & Que in for a cooking segment. For more information click here.
What to do if your child dislikes their teacher? Dr. Erik Fisher joins us to discuss tips on how parents can deal with this issue. For more information click here.
Good Day Atlanta pet of the day from the Humane Society of Cobb County. For more information click here.RECIPES:
Pork Spare Ribs – Grilled and oven finished. Served with an IPA BBQ glaze and spicy slaw
- Turn grill to high and let heat for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse and pat dry the spare ribs and place on cooking tray.
- Using a knife, score the back of the ribs (on the bone side).
- Apply dry rub on both sides of ribs.
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Once the grill is hot, place the ribs meat side down and get a slight char.
Remove from the grill and set into a roasting pan. Pour the beer BBQ glaze over the ribs and bake in 300 degree oven for 2 – 2 ½ hours covered. 3-4 times during the cooking process, baste the ribs with the beer glaze. Ribs are done when they can bend but not break.
IPA BBQ glaze
- Sweat out 1 yellow onion in medium sauce pan with olive oil.
- Add 1 tablespoon chopped garlic and cook for 2 minutes while stirring.
- Add 36 ounces of IPA beer and reduce by half.
- Add 2 cups of ketchup, 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon yellow mustard, 1 teaspoon celery salt, ½ cupbrown sugar and 2 tablespoon molasses.
- Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Remove from stove and using a stick blender blend well. You want to make sure there are no big pieces of onions left. The sauce should be a little loose, but will thicken up when cooking in the oven with the ribs.
- Thinly shave ½ head of green cabbage and shred 1 large carrot.
- Pick the leaves off 1 bunch of cilantro, chopping half and setting the other half aside.
- Slice 2 jalapenos in half-length wise and de-seed. Make very thin slices of jalapenos.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together. Keep the whole cilantro leaves separate.
- In a separate bowl, mix 2 cups mayo, 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon honey, 2 teaspoons kosher salt, and 1 teaspoon black pepper.
- Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and combine.
- Garnish with the whole cilantro leaves
- Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.