(FOX News) - Attorneys representing the Kentucky high school student involved in a confrontation that went viral on social media last month announced Tuesday that they were suing The Washington Post for $250 million in compensatory and punitive damages.
The lawsuit, which was filed in federal court in Kentucky, accused The Post of practicing "a modern-day form of McCarthyism" by targeting Nicholas Sandmann and "using its vast financial resources to enter the bully pulpit by publishing a series of false and defamatory print and online articles ... to smear a young boy who was in its view an acceptable casualty in their war against the president."
Washington Post spokesperson Kris Coratti told Fox News in an email that the paper was "reviewing a copy of the lawsuit, and we plan to mount a vigorous defense."
Sandmann, a junior at Covington Catholic High School, became a target for outrage after a video of him standing face-to-face with a Native American man, Nathan Phillips, while wearing a red "Make America Great Again" hat surfaced in January. Sandmann was one of a group of students from Covington attending the anti-abortion March for Life in Washington, D.C., while Phillips was attending the Indigenous Peoples' March on the same day.
Sandmann and the Covington students were initially accused of initiating the confrontation, but other videos and the students' own statements showed that they were verbally accosted by a group of black street preachers who were shouting insults both at them and a group of Native Americans. Sandmann and Phillips have both said they were trying to defuse the situation.
Every journey starts with a first step. The journey to achieve justice for Nick Sandmann will begin today. To borrow a phrase used by others - tick tock . . .— Lin Wood (@LLinWood) February 19, 2019
Keep in mind that the first step taken today is just that - the first step on a long journey. In the coming weeks & months, the agenda-driven mainstream & social media mob of bullies who attacked, vilified and threatened a child, Nick Sandmann, will be hearing our footsteps.— Lin Wood (@LLinWood) February 19, 2019
Nick Sandmann was attacked, vilified & threatened by a mob of mainstream & social media bullies. Nick is now protected by a dedicated team of lawyers & staff who will work long hours to obtain justice for Nick & make sure that a lesson is learned that will never be forgotten. https://t.co/yu8zGAO6QR— Lin Wood (@LLinWood) February 19, 2019
In a span of three (3) days in January of this year commencing on January 19, the Washington Post engaged in a modern-day form of McCarthyism to claim leadership of a mainstream & social media mob of bullies which attacked, vilified & threatened Nick Sandmann, an innocent minor. https://t.co/L8RuZebrRd— Lin Wood (@LLinWood) February 19, 2019
In this country, our society is dedicated to protecting children regardless of the color of their skin, their religious beliefs, or the caps they wear. Washington Post did not care about protecting Nick Sandmann. The Post just cared about being the first & loudest media bully.— Lin Wood (@LLinWood) February 19, 2019
Washington Post recklessly ignored basic journalist standards because it was eager to advance its biased agenda against @realDonaldTrump by impugning individuals perceived to be his supporters. Nick Sandmann was perceived as an easy target. He is 16. Inexcusable on every level.— Lin Wood (@LLinWood) February 19, 2019
Nick Sandmann is 16-years of age, 5’9” in height and weighs 115 pounds. The school field trip to the Nation’s capital was the first out-of-state trip Nick had ever taken without being with his family. He did nothing to deserve being attacked, vilified & bullied. Nothing.— Lin Wood (@LLinWood) February 20, 2019