ANAHEIM, Calif. (WOFL FOX 35) - Disney CEO Bob Iger on Thursday announced that groundbreaking for the "Star Wars" themed lands at its parks in Florida and California will begin in April.
Iger first mentioned plans for the "Star Wars" themed lands at Disney's D23 Fan Expo last summer. The 14-acre attractions, to be built at Disney World in Orlando, Florida, and Disneyland in Anaheim, California, represents the largest parks expansion ever.
Iger has said that the "Star Wars" land will be "every bit as thrilling as the films" and will include attractions and entertainment in an area populated by aliens and droids. "We are creating a truly jaw-dropping new world that's going to transport our guests right into the 'Star Wars' story," Iger said at the annual meeting of Disney shareholders this week.
Iger previously announced that there will also be a Cantina and the chance to take control of the Millennium Falcon. "We're also going to take you on a fantastic 'Star Wars' adventure that puts you right in the middle of an epic battle between The First Order and The Resistance," Iger said.
Disney parks have previously only had the Star Tours ride as their "Star Wars" themed attraction. More comprehensive park integration has been expected since Disney acquired Lucasfilm in 2012.
Some information taken from the Associated Press.