Wednesday's severe storms turn into Thursday's cleanup

It was an afternoon of pop-up thunderstorms that turned severe, leaving behind damage in many portions of north Georgia.

Fayette County mobile home park hit hard

One of the hardest hit counties was in Fayette County where the National Weather Service confirms a microburst, with winds between 80 and 90 mph, snapped and uprooted trees between Tyrone and Peachtree City.

NWS officials said the Whispering Pines mobile home community off Senioa Road saw the most damage with several dozen trees coming down, destroying homes. They said no one was serious hurt.

Damage was also reported along Senioa Road between Dogwood Trial and Georgia Highway 74. A National Weather Service survey crew is expected to be out Thursday to continue to survey the damage.

Lilburn resident okay after tree falls on home

A family says a 110-foot tree snapped and fell on top of their Lilburn home, as giant branches impaled a dresser in one girl's room another smashed through a hallway into the bathroom.
"The girls had been in the bathroom washing up, came out, then the whole house lit up," said mother Kristi Luthi.

She said all the girls were in the living room as the tree crashed onto the roof, and rushed the girls into the laundry room.

The Luthis rent a home on Nathan Court in Lilburn.

"It was scary. The kids were screaming," Luthi said.

She said she is glad no one was hurt in the close call with the tree.

The family must find another place to stay as the landlord fixes up the home.

Power crews busy in Bartow County

The Cartersville area was hit by a powerful storm Wednesday afternoon.

The most noticeable damage was to this major electrical transmission system.

Georgia Power said the heavy weather took out parts or entire structures connected to five of the large power poles.

The sagging lines crossed E Main Street which forced a detour on the major thoroughfare from Interstate 75.

Eric Cook and his family were caught in the battering weather when the lines came down.

"It's not a regular power line this is some serious volts going through there. It's nothing to joke around with," said Eric Cook.

The deluge quickly filled many city streets which caused motorists to slow down through deep water.

Cartersville police on the scene told Fox 5 News a number of barricades were placed by police to prevent traffic on roads where trees had taken down power lines.

"We got some trees down power lines down all over the city so right now we're just kind of scrambling to make the roads safe for everybody to drive," said Officer Rich Hawley.

Residents just south of downtown were left without electricity when a big tree snapped power lines.

"My neighbor did hear it; he was on the porch when the thing fell. He said it sounded like ah, somebody with a ball bat a stick or something and then it came crashing down," said Jerry Craig.

It was one of many trees which came crashing down on a hot summer afternoon when Mother Nature paid a visit to Cartersville

"It's bad, yeah, it's bad. It can happen at any second and it did here," said Eric Cook.

Georgia Power said about 400 customers will be without power until repairs are completed on the broken lines and poles.

The work is expected to be finished around seven Thursday morning.

Severe storms cause airport issues

The airport was experience delays over an hour for flights in and out of Atlanta. There were reports of winds over 40 miles per hour forcing planes to remain on the grounds as the storm cells passed. Inside the terminal, security lines were held up as a leak opened just above the main security checkpoint.

FOX 5's Trevor Shirley, Jaclyn Schultz, and George Franco contributed to this report

 App users click here for more images and video


Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes advertiser stories