With spring comes the start of strawberry planting season! These nutrient powerhouses are rich in antioxidants and are a delicious addition to top your morning cereal, add sweetness to a smoothie or spread in a strawberry jam. Here are some tips to ensure this tasty fruit is planted to perfection in a jar!
- Strawberries are often one of the more expensive items at the grocery store – you'll save money growing your own!
- Home-grown berries are more flavorful than store bought berries
- Some strawberries bear fruit only in June, so these are the best choice if you are making jams and jellies
- If your goal is to have a few each morning on your cereal, then Everbearing Strawberries are your best choice!
Planting your Strawberries
- Plant your berries in an area that receives full sun (6 hours of direct sunlight)
- Use Pike Potting Mix (Remember: Potting Mix goes in a pot, while planting mix goes in the ground!)
- You can plant strawberries in a standard pot, a strawberry pot or a hanging basket
- Strawberry pots have several holes. Just plant one plant in each hole.
- Don't be afraid to add in another plant (like mint!) with the strawberries
- Fertilize your strawberries in late March with an organic fertilizer like EB Stone Vine & Berry Food
- Pick berries when they are ripe and bright red
- Enjoy the fruits of your labor!
FREE Weekend Event – Super Strawberry Saturday at Pike Nurseries! Saturday, March 14: Come celebrate the start of strawberry growing season with us! We're giving away FREE Bareroot Strawberry Plants*, Strawberry Lemonade and savory samples of McCutcheon's Strawberry Jalapeño BBQ Sauce.
FREE Strawberry Planting Class at 9 a.m. Learn the best tips for growing and harvesting strawberries in a pot and in the ground.