Terrariums are "mini" gardens that create their own little ecosystem and are typical planted in some type of clear glass container. Creating a terrarium is a great way to bring the beauty of the outdoors inside! Affordable, easy to make and fun for expert gardeners and children alike, terrariums make it simple to start a miniature garden indoors.
Choose a glass container
Place a layer of charcoal in the vessel
- The charcoal will help absorb an extra moisture
- Charcoal will also help eliminate any odors
Add a 1-inch layer of decorate rock or gravel
- This will act as the drainage for your container so the plants are not sitting in water
- Part of the beauty of terrariums is that you can see all the different layers
- Play with the depth of the layers to create more interest
Add a 2-3 inch layer of Pike Potting & Container Soil
Choose the plants for your terrarium
- We have a great selection of 2-inch plants that are perfect for terrariums
- Vary the plants to get different textures and foliage color
Add sand, decorative rock, moss or fairies
- Have fun mixing these decorative elements
- You can create pathways or make different designs
Water your terrarium
- Water your terrarium so the soil is moist to the touch – you don't want to see standing water
- You'll probably need to water your terrarium every 10-14 days
- Place your terrarium in an area that receives bright light but not direct sun
This weekend at Pike Nurseries – FREE Class!
- Creating a Terrarium – Saturday, January 3 at 9 am
- Join us for a free class to learn how to create a terrarium and how to care for them.
- For more information, click here.